Inside: If you’re a stressed out mom then this will give you tips, ideas, and home remedies to help manage and even prevent some stress in your life.
It isn’t possible for us to remove all stressors from our lives.
Having children, cooking dinner, school pick up and drop offs… these things can cause us stress and tiredness. Sometimes that tiredness is proof of a life well lived.
But we’re not talking about good tired today, we’re talking about bad tired. The type that makes you want to pull your hair out, kick the wall, and run screaming away from your own life.
The kind of stress that can make you feel black rage in one moment then crumble and ugly cry the next.
Let’s be honest, this often happens in the newborn phase. Or when you’re heavily pregnant and emotional. Or when life is so busy there simply isn’t any time to empty the well of emotions we’re feeling.
Tips To Help Recover From Being A Stressed Out Mom
Mom Problem Solving Worksheet
- pinpoint an issue
- draw out how it’s affecting you
- label what you don’t like about it
- determine areas of responsibility
- figure out how it’s showing up
- say what you’d rather happen
- brainstorm solutions
If you stuff your emotions, keep moving without allowing yourself to feel them, or honestly don’t even know what you are feeling… it’s like you are stuffing it all into your emotional basement.
Eventually, the basement will fill up and fill up and fill up until it starts coming out of the basement into the house.
This is when stress really takes hold. Our emotional basements (of anxiety, worry, anger, fear, etc.) start overflowing and disrupt our houses (lives).
Since we can’t alleviate all stress and everything that is causing it, here are some basic day to day ways you can bring some much needed calm and relaxation.
Practical Tips To Help Stressed Moms Relax
- Take five minutes alone. Put the kids in front of the TV, in their playpens, or cribs with some books and toys and go sit somewhere dark without your phone. Take a timer and just relax.
- Have a stash of your favorite drink on hand so you can pour a cup. When the kids are occupied and quiet focus on drinking and how good it tastes and try not to think about your to do list.
- Institute independent play time for your children each day.
- Get up earlier than the kids, even for 20 minutes, and read your Bible, pray, or do something else relaxing not involving technology.
- Read a nice book on your favorite piece of furniture in the house. Or if you don’t have a favorite piece, create a cozy nook somewhere just for this purpose (book series mothers love).
- Get a mother’s helper (or your husband who isn’t a babysitter) and go out! This is the ticket if you are an extrovert.
- Go outside for some fresh air and sunshine.
- Eat a guilty pleasure / comfort meal. If your fave isn’t healthy then don’t make it habit to comfort yourself, but occasionally indulging in a favorite makes it more special.
- Get some hobbies. Here’s some hobbies for stay at home moms or hobbies for non-crafters.
Self-Care Habit Tracker
Do you forget to sleep, bathe, eat, relax, etc.? NO MORE. This tracker will help you consistently live within your limits so you have more love to give to your family.
Natural Remedies To Help Relax When You Feel Stressed Out
A warm bath. Detox baths will do more than just help you relax. Turn off the lights, light some candles and put 1 cup Epsom salts and 5 drops of your favorite oil in the bath. I use Lavender.
Face mask. Make your own face mask with this turmeric recipe. There are a lot of options with things you have around the house. It feels luxurious to give yourself extra attention.
Scented eye mask. Get an eye mask or eye pillow that you can scent with essential oils and use during rest times or before bed. A face mask or an ear plug can help you sleep deeper and longer.
Calming tea. Make a cup of chamomile tea (which is a mild sedative) and add Ylang Ylang, Lavender, or Chamomile essential oils or Valerian which is a mood stabilizer.
Diffuse. Essential oils are absorbed through the bloodstream so diffusing a calming essential oil or oil blend will help lower your stress levels from the inside out.
Tips To Relieve Emotional Stress
- It might seem impossible but a key to helping feel better mentally is finding time for yourself in the everyday
- Here’s how to wind down and recharge after a busy day
- Honestly express your emotions and you’ll be amazed how much better you’ll feel
- Call a friend who’ll let you vent your frustration, but who will then encourage you
- Think about relational issues that are weighing you down and whether you need to forgive someone or ask forgiveness
- Determine whether there’s a situation in your life that needs confronting, whether with a co-worker, friend or family member, and try not to brush it under the rug. That’ll just increase your stress!
Stressed Because Your Kids Aren’t Sleeping Well?
- The newborn stage can be exhausting so here’s some tips to help your newborn sleep well
- If you’re up with the kids all throughout the night you may have a case of the sleep props, so read sleep props and how to get rid of them
- Also, if you’re up before dawn, you may need to learn how to encourage sleeping-in and longer naps
- If you have a few kids who still nap, try to put them all down for a nap at the same time, this will give you much needed time to rest.
Hopefully some of these options resonated with you. But know, dear tired mom, that you are not alone!
Bedtime Brain Release Sheet
Don’t end the day with anxiety, stress, and a full mind.
This evening brain dump journal sheet will help you get in a peaceful mindset so you too can sleep peacefully through the night.
We’re in a tiring season and if we play our cards right, in a few years we might get to sleep in and have our dear darlings bring us breakfast in bed ;)