I’ve already posted on hobbies for stay at home moms here. If you are not crafty and don’t give a rip about sewing, here are some hobbies for moms that have jack to do with crafts. After all, if you look at the resume for a stay at home mom, it’s not only fun stuff.
There are people who are crafty and there are people who are not. My post on 60+ hobbies for the SAHM is very popular, but it involves a lot of arts and crafts type stuff. I realized that it is also very Little House on the Prairie and that, perhaps, many mothers out there don’t own a glue gun and will never put that on their Christmas list.
Keep your sanity
Before I make a list let’s recap why it’s vitally important that mothers make time to do things for themselves. Not in a “you deserve it” type of way. But in a “you may lose your mind if you don’t” way.
- It helps you from thinking your whole identity is wrapped up in motherhood
- It gives you time to recharge, refresh, and process
- Creativity is important for your own well-being and emotional health (here’s the difference between being creative and being artistic)
- You’ll feel more patient and rested if you can get your mind off the daily “urgent” tasks of motherhood
- the general satisfaction that comes from learning a new skill or doing something you love!
So… some of these are a little out of the box, but you never know!
Do you forget to sleep, bathe, eat, relax, etc.? NO MORE. This tracker will help you consistently live within your limits so you have more love to give to your family.
Can Be Done At Home
reading (and joining book clubs)
DIY and building projects (amazing site with free plans)
puzzles (here are puzzles of all shapes and sizes)
cooking + baking
cake making (intro to cake making)
bonsai trees (Okay, I know, but look at this)
collecting (cool things to collect)
Activity & Athletics
running (5k, half marathons or marathons)
Needs Equipment Or Up-Front Purchases
photography (here’s the kit I bought)
bird watching (don’t laugh, this is very popular!)
learning an instrument
sailing (lessons if you don’t own a boat)
take singing lessons
If Mama Ain’t Happy
Neglecting your own physical, spiritual, mental, and emotional needs for so long―in an effort to be a selfless mother―leaves you depleted. Being well blesses your family! Learn WIN WIN strategies in my upcoming book!Learn More
geocaching (beginner geocaching kit)
- pinpoint an issue
- draw out how it’s affecting you
- label what you don’t like about it
- determine areas of responsibility
- figure out how it’s showing up
- say what you’d rather happen
- brainstorm solutions
going to garage sales and flea markets
learn a new language (I speak 3)