Want a mothers helper, but are unsure what they do? Here is an in depth mother’s helper job description you can use for yourself.
When I first hired our mother’s helper… I had no idea what I wanted her to do.
Honestly, I just knew I needed help.
I was pregnant with our 5th child (SURPRISE!) and had a blog to run and had four other kids under the age of 4 and I was just plain ole overwhelmed.
I needed help in the day to day.
So, I ended up with our wonderful mother’s helper and throughout the four years she was with us (until she retired to have her own baby) we got into a groove that just worked.
Now, I want to help you get there.
Read all the posts in my Mother’s Helper Series
- How to find a mother’s helper you can trust
- 10+ mother’s helper interview questions
- How much to pay a mother’s helper
- Your mother’s helper’s AGE: key considerations
- An in-depth job description for a mother’s helper you can use
- The ultimate guide to finding, hiring, paying, training & keeping a mother’s helper
So… what does a mother’s helper do?
Well, simply put, anything you need help with.
Depending on the exact arrangement you make with your mother’s helper… she can help you do whatever needs to be done!
Mom Problem Solving Worksheet
- pinpoint an issue
- draw out how it’s affecting you
- label what you don’t like about it
- determine areas of responsibility
- figure out how it’s showing up
- say what you’d rather happen
- brainstorm solutions
An In Depth Mother’s Helper Job Description
Here’s a great big list of things your mother’s helper can do to help you out.
This isn’t exhaustive, of course, but I’ve done my best.
And you don’t have to depend on your mother’s helper for all these things, but if you wanted to have a job description to list or start with – use these as a jumping off point.
Mother’s Helper Jobs With Babies, Toddlers & Preschoolers
For the majority of the time, my mother’s helper was watching my littles. Listed below are the various jobs she did for me. Obviously, make sure to add whichever tasks best suit you to your job description.
- Supervise the kids within the home
- Change diapers
- Play games with kids
- Take kids outside in backyard or on walks
- Give snacks and meals to kids
- Help little ones tidy up play area
- Do crafts with the kids and simple activities
- Set up imagination games (forts, Duplo, etc.)
- Helping with the newborn sleep schedule
- Following a 1 year old sleep schedule
- Or any routine (get all my sample routines here)
- Doing wind down routines with the little ones
- Bathing the kiddos
- Reading books to the little ones
Sample Mother’s Helper Job Description
Print this off and use it to create your own job description to start getting some help, stat!
Mother’s Helper Jobs Around The House
When my little ones were down for a nap or occupied, my mother’s helper would do jobs around the house, as needed.
➡️ Some people will naturally look for things to do like this, others will not.
Therefore, it’s a good idea from the very beginning to communicate your expectations about what you would like done around the house with your mother’s helper.
Err on the side of more instruction as opposed to less, at least in the beginning.
If not, you may have sleeping babies and a mother’s helper scrolling on their phone with a sink full of dirty dishes.
- Gathering laundry from rooms
- Do laundry
- Fold clothes
- Put away clothes
- Change bedding on kids’ beds
Get 101+ chore cards to help your little one build life skills, confidence, and their hard work muscles.Learn More
- Load or unload the dishwasher
- Clean kitchen counters
- Prepare snacks
- Pack school lunches
- Prep dinner
- Do an evening sweep (but during the day!)
- Carry out tidy routines
- Organize toys and play areas
Jobs With Logistics
Of course, this will depend on whether you hire someone who is old enough to drive and whether you trust someone to do that.
If you do hire a mother’s helper that’s older than 16, these are things she can do to help you.
- Help with the school morning routine
- Aide in after school routines
- Drop kids off at school
- Pick kids up from school
- Run errands with you or for you
- Do grocery run (or grocery pickup if you order online)
- Take kids to and from appointments
Characteristics You Want In A Mother’s Helper
Obviously, every family will want and need different things in a mother’s helper.
➡️ I needed a saint with the patience of Job.
We’ve got 5 kids over here and that, my friend, ain’t for the faint of heart.
There will be certain characteristics, however, that you want in anybody you let into your house to help you care for your dear sweet kids.
- Ability to go with the flow. They are helping YOU, not the other way around.
- Willingness to do whatever needs to be done – even if it stinks.
- Reliability. What you do not want is someone who rarely shows up when you expect them to. You grow to count on your mother’s helper and you want someone dependable.
- Kindness. Might go without saying, but whoever takes care of your kids day in and day out needs to be kind and gentle and loving.
- Fun. Your mother’s helper will be entertaining your kids for long periods and needs to have the type of personality that can handle this.
Things You Don’t Want Your Mother’s Helper To Do
I have been lucky enough to have a mother’s helper who went above and beyond all expectations. On the other hand, I’ve heard from others who haven’t had such a positive experience.
Because of that, I think it’s important to mention in any mother’s helper job description the things you are NOT looking for.
- You don’t want a mother’s helper who sits on her phone all day instead of watching your kids.
- And, you don’t want a mother’s helper who is chronically late. Sometimes, of course, that’s life! Someone who can’t seem to get here on time will make life more stressful for you than it already is.
- You do not want your mother’s helper to discipline your kids in a way you don’t agree with. If she has established views on discipline that differ from yours… this likely won’t be a harmonious relationship. It’s something to ask in your mother’s helper interview.
Grab your job description printable here!
Self-Care Habit Tracker
Do you forget to sleep, bathe, eat, relax, etc.? NO MORE. This tracker will help you consistently live within your limits so you have more love to give to your family.