Reading books to children is an excellent way to spend time together, grow literacy skills, and teach important topics. Here is a list of books about body parts in the topics of fun & interactive, education, and books that teach body part safety:
I dropped my son off at a birthday party on Saturday and – somehow someway – we ended up talking about the birds and the bees and our kids.
And what do you know, she said she’s scared to death to talk to her son about it all. Even though she knows he’s likely already hearing it at school.
Know what I told her?
Read a book about it with him.
Then you don’t have to stare into his eyes while you’re already feeling nervous, but you can both sit together in a comfy place and both look at the book.
Pretty soon, you’ll feel comfortable and so will he.
Reading books to children has so many wonderful benefits
Benefits that range from fostering a love of learning to introducing vocabulary needed for reading comprehension. It also helps them develop reading stamina.
Now, the titles below are specifically chosen to help teach topics involving the human body parts.
There are books for babies and toddlers that are fun to read, educational books that teach scientific concepts, and children’s books that help teach the concepts around personal safety.
Kids (toddlers through elementary school) will learn everything from life management, social, survival, and hygiene skills PLUS MORE!
Fun & interactive books (For babies & toddlers)
We’ve all heard “If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands,” but I bet you haven’t heard some of these awesome titles.
Get ready to giggle, laugh, and teach your littles about their body parts.
- Toes, Ears, & Nose! – This adorable lift the flap book is sure to have your little one engaged and having fun.
- Where is My Belly Button – What a cute peek-a-boo baby book! The bright colors and fun rhymes are sure to captive your little one.
- Head-to-Toe with Winnie the Pooh – Disney’s baby Winnie the Pooh teaches body parts with 10 fun sounds.
- Eyes, Noes, Toes Peekaboo! – This is the perfect book for toddlers who love playing peekaboo.
- Baby Touch Your Nose – I love a baby book with a bit of sparkle. This baby sparkle book teaches body parts and pre-reading skills too.
- My First Book About Body Parts– 30 bright and beautiful images of body parts presented in a fun and educational way.
Educational & sciencey children’s books
Do you have a future doctor, nurse, or biologist on your hands? Or, maybe your kids are beginning to ask questions about their body. This type of book really goes a long way in being able to get into a more medical mindset.
So you can build on this vocabulary in years to come. Which, trust me, you’ll appreciate later.
These books are sure to spark their interest and teach them some scientific concepts.
- Human Body Activity Book – Geared for kids in ages 1-3, this interactive book teaches body parts in a hands on way.
- My First Body – A board book for babies and toddlers to tach first body parts.
- Hello, World! My Body – This board book is a simple and fun way to introduce body parts.
- My First Human Body Book – 28 pages of coloring and activities to enhance your little one’s education and curiosity about their body from a scientific standpoint.
- Head-to-Toe – This is a human body activity book for toddlers and young children.
- Knowledge Encyclopedia’s Human Body – This book is captivating with it’s amazing drawings and diagrams. It’s sure to capture the imagination and interest of your future doctor.
- Inside Your Outside – From The Cat In the Hat, this book takes you on a journey into learning body parts.
Books that teach body part safety
Reading books about body safety can be a sure way to teach abuse prevention. Books can help bridge the gap of emotions and make hard to discuss topics easier to cover.
Also, these titles encompass topics such as privacy, content, personal boundaries, and more. Ultimately, these books are excellent to help teach your children about autonomy.
- My Body! What I Say Goes! – This book not only educates, but teaches about personal safety, feeling, and how to express yourself clearly. It delves into knowledge of private parts, what consent it, and how to have respectful relationships.
- Let’s Talk About Body Boundaries – Topics covered in this book are content and respect, ownership, choices, and recognizing a bully.
- Amazing You! Getting Smart About Your Private Parts – This book was written for children who aren’t ready to learn about intimacy but are interested in their body and where babies come from.
- No Means No! – This children’s picture book teaches personal boundaries and the right to say no. It is a recommended read for children ages 3-9.
- My Body’s Mine – This is a children’s book on body boundaries and avoiding sexual abuse.
- Some Secrets Should Never Be Kept – This sensitive topic is addressed in an appropriate way through this children’s picture book.
- My Body is Special and Private – This book was written to introduce body parts to children in a way that emphases their privacy. It talks about safety and more complicated topics such as tricks, secrets, and intuition.
Pull out these fun connecting questions to share some laughs with your precious ones!
Use them at:
- meal times
- car rides
- as a “calm down” trick
- for dinner time conversation
- or any time the day is getting chaotic or
- you need a reset to connect.