Parental control apps are a good idea if your children/teenagers are exposed to websites, social media apps, or other communication platforms. Here are the top 7 in 2023.
If your little ones have access to the internet, you can’t bury your head in the sand like it’s 1999 and it was your mama’s computer.
Those days are past.
As a parent on the parent council with Defend Young Minds, I know the importance of making sure our children are protected. Both from things getting in, and by building defenses within so they have their own internal monitoring system.
So, let’s dive in.
What's in this post...
The 7 top parental control apps right now
A good guard dog knows when to “bark.”
Bark is a parental control platform that claims to have the intelligence to detect, warn, and eliminate threats that children may face on their devices. This includes monitoring their social media activities.
It’s claim to fame is that it monitors across all mediums for indicators of depression, bullying, and predators.
Here are the main features of Bark:
- Monitor content 24/7
- Blocks websites and apps
- Monitors screentime
- Gives location updates
- Gives details about your child’s activites
- Can include an unlimited amount of devices on your plan
Bark claims to have 6 million users, have warned parents of 2.6 million bullying situations, and have detected 629 thousand severe self-harm situations.
Check off critical household, social, and hygiene skills for your child so they’re prepared (not petrified) of growing up!
Net Nanny is not your “old school nanny.”
This nanny claims to know what’s really going on… even on YouTube.
If you’re looking for a software that uses artificial intelligence to instantly report online searches, limit and manage screen time usage, and automatically block any dangerous content- look no further.
Here are some of Net Nanny’s features:
- Blocks dangerous content immediately
- Monitors content on all social media platforms and YouTube
- Provides geofencing with arrival and departure alerts
- Has the ability to change screen limits easily and instantly
- Blocks porn or adult content in real time
Net Nanny has several different plans that can include one device, up to five devices, and up to 20 devices.
With Boomerang, what you put out there always comes back for mom and dad to see.
Boomerang claims to be the most flexible and easy to use parental control app for devices. It offers key word detection on messages, regulation of contacts, and 24/7 location tracking.
With Boomerang, your child will not be able to download any apps without a notification to you.
Here are some of it’s features:
- Monitors all searches online including YouTube
- Filters search engine results for child friendly content
- Time limits are regulated daily PER app
- Bedtime regulations
- Encourages parental approved apps (eduction, reading, etc.)
The plans for Boomerang include a 14 day free trial, a single device plan, and a family plan up to 10 devices.
Help prepare your kids for life, one skill at a time. Simple, easy skills every month!Learn More
Technology under Canopy is an important and useful thing.
Canopy claims to help childproof your family’s devices so your kids can have a safe, healthy relationship with the internet.
This parental control app has some pretty high-tech features:
- Uses SafeSmart internet filter to scan, detect, and block explicit content in milliseconds
- Parent’s can customize restrictions that will allow things such as swimwear
- Has safeguards in play to prevent children from disabling protection
- Detects and blocks pornography
- Places a priority on block inappropriate messages (including pictures) bring sent to your kids device
Canopy offers monthly and annual subscriptions for three, five, or 10 devices.
You can put apps and devices on instant lock with Kidslox.
If you’re into detailed statistics and information, you’ll love this platform. I really breaks it down. It even highlights areas that you may beed to take a closer look at.
Some if this parental control apps features are:
- Blocks app by use time, type of app, or content found on app
- Keeps track of current location as well as location history
- Get’s kids attention with a quick shut down feature
- Sets schedules and screen time limits
- Content blocking and safe searching features
Kidslox offers one device subscriptions for durations of three months, six months, one year, or a lifetime.
Qustodio because more time online exposes kids to more risks…
This parental control app promotes digital safety and wellbeing through balance, visibility, and education.
With Custodio, you’ll even receive a notification if your child attempts to access preciously blocked content.
- Prevention of potentially harmful apps and websites
- Monitoring from a real time dashboard of all activity
- Limiting use preferences that you can change anytime
- Arrival and departure information from set locations such as school or home
- Detection of any suspicious calls or messages
- Reports to your inbox
Annual plans are available from Questodios for five, ten, or fifteen devices.
Pull out these fun connecting questions to share some laughs with your precious ones!
Use them at:
- meal times
- car rides
- as a “calm down” trick
- for dinner time conversation
- or any time the day is getting chaotic or
- you need a reset to connect.
Google Family Link
Keep your family safer online with Google Family Link.
With this parental control platform you will find tools to help you understand what your child is doing online. It to provide parents with the necessary tools to equip and teach kids how to be safe online.
Google Family Link provides:
- Manages permissions for websites and apps
- Connects all your family’s derives together
- Monitors and shuts off children’s device when you decide
- Gives parental control over Youtube and YouTube Kids
Using Family Link requires you to hold a Google account.