Are you getting ready for school, but still in denial that summer is nearly over? I know I am! Here are some fun things to do before summer ends. Long live the summer!!
I went without summer for a long time once.
I call it… my eternal winter.
Of course it wasn’t eternal because it only lasted 3 years, but still. THREE YEARS WITHOUT A PROPER SUMMER. That’s tough for a Florida girl.
At the time, it felt like half my life. I lived in England for two years, then Scotland for half a year, then moved to Australia but, as fate would have it, I missed summer because of the whole different hemisphere business. It was 3 years without a hot summer.
I’m sure my skin thanked me, but I was miserable. I was miserable because deep down in my heart of hearts I am a summer girl. I prefer 100 degrees to 60. I like sunshine, water, and my favorite holiday is the 4th of July. So needless to say, we try to do summer right over here.
School is starting and soon, depending on where you live, the leaves will start changing. I did not follow any type of bucket list… but I did manage to get in So Much Fun Summer Stuff! Here are some of the things we did, so use it as inspiration if you’re wanting to suck the most out of summer. :)
I didn’t make a summer 🏝🏖 bucket list because I don’t like anyone (especially myself😫) making a big list of things to do aside from the other 1,577,743 things I need to do to keep the kids alive until bedtime. . However, if I had made one I’d have put “take all the big kids to a movie and get Icees the size of our heads” on it and then today I’d have checked it off! 😂 . #sweetsummertime #largefamily #christopherrobin
Summer Fun Ideas
- Stay up later than normal doing something fun.
- Watch the sunset and forget about bedtime.
- Play outside in the rain. Until it starts lightning, then perhaps come in.
- But if you do come inside, watch the thunderstorm from the window.
- Eat a lot of ice cream.
- Eat breakfast for dinner and eat leftover pizza for breakfast.
- Let the kids take a long bath in their bathing suits. And add some shaving cream!
- Run through the sprinklers.
- Have papers to burn? Have a mini bonfire and make s’mores.
- Go to the beach.
- Drink a big glass of fresh squeezed lemonade.
- Go fishing with the kids.
- Eat a watermelon. (Oh, and if you’re adventurous, add a little salt to it. I promise, you will thank me later.)
- Teach the kids to climb a tree.
- Sit on the front porch or a swing without your phone.
- Make a nice dessert and eat it outside on a picnic blanket.
- Fly a kite. Or if you don’t have a kite, make your own.
- Go to a zoo. Or call a neighbor who has animals, and ask to come visit. Within a few miles we have alpacas, horses, cows, and goats.
- Take a long drive with the windows down.
- For one day, eat every meal outside.
- Hang a sheet on the side of the house and host a movie night.
- Take a walk on a nature trail and get super dirty!
- Buy some fresh fruit and veggies from the produce stand (or take your own) and can, freeze, or dehydrate them for the year.
- Take the kids stargazing.
Summertime is always the best of what might be. C. Bowden
Want to learn your parenting style?
Each of us have our own personality, temperament, and giftings. And, the truth is, we parent best when we work with these instead of against them. Take this assessment so you can work to your strengths, and be the mom you want to be for yourself and your children.
New to this community? Start here, friend.