Here you’ll find an awesome sentimental gift idea for your kids, and other sentimental gift ideas if that one doesn’t float your boat. This holiday season, not all gifts need to be toys, you’ll be glad you added this Christmas present to the mix.
Last year, around October, I had a genius idea for a great gift.
We were preparing for a family photo shoot, and I asked my friend…
“Can you take photos of me and my husband with each child individually?”
I told her my reasoning, and she was all in!
It only took an additional 10 or so minutes and then it was the makings of my favorite Christmas present from last year.
Each child got their own canvas, a photo with mom and dad.
A Sentimental Gift Idea Your Kids Will Love
It was such a fun gift to give and the kids really did love it.
They also have loved having it pride of place in their bedrooms. My 6 year old actually hung it right above his bed with some string lights around it.
There’s just something about personalized gifts that make the kids feel special. Especially if you are a child in a large family.
My kids feel special when they can go to Wal-Mart alone with one of us so this, well, this was a step up.
Here’s Why Your Kids Will Love This Sentimental Gift
- Every time they go into their room they’ll see the photo. It’ll constantly remind them of your connection and relationship. Warm Fuzzies.
- It is thoughtful in that the photo is not simply a Family Photo, but it’s an individual one which helps them feel cherished.
- And it’s something they can look back on as they age.
The other night we had a tornado warning in our area. I told my oldest daughter about it, then forgot to tell her it had passed.
In the meantime, she’d gone into her room and rounded up some Bug Out bags in case we had to escape.
I am not making this up.
Do you know what made it into one of the Bug Out Bags?
HER CANVAS PHOTO OF US.
I was so touched, both with her survival skills, and the fact that she also thought this was a sentimental gift to her.
Here’s Why You Will Love This Gift
- It’ll give YOU the warm fuzzies when you see it.
- You can keep it in the years to come, even if you take it down or replace it.
- It can hang on the wall, not create more clutter.
- And it doesn’t make loud noises or require you to referee something (like board games do which, of course, are still lovable but more work!)
How To Take Your Photos
#1. If you are having someone take family photos for a Christmas card, then try getting the photos then.
#2. If you have a nice camera with a timer, set yourselves up and take a shot with each child one by one.
#3. Get someone to take a shot with your cell phone. You can change the setting to output higher quality images which can then be used.
#4. Take a selfie and just get on with it. The goal is not perfect, but sentiment!
Where To Get Canvases Printed
I chose to do canvases last year for the kids because they can be hung on the wall. We’d not been in our new house too long at that point, and most of the kids didn’t have bedside tables so I wanted something with options.
Here are some places you can get canvases printed.
I personally just went for the one that had the easiest editor and was the least expensive, as I was ordering 5 canvases.
Some places want extremely high resolution and are more geared towards professional photographers, so just take a gander at the prices and choose the best for your budget.
You can also print photos and frame them
This has the same result, a lovely photo of you and your child, and will allow you to easily change out the photo in years to come.
You can print photos at your local big box store and just slip them in a frame, or you can send the photo off for framing as well. Here are some places that do custom framing.
- Michaels (They usually have a custom framing center in the back of their store. I find them way pricey, but it’s good work.)
- Framebridge (I see a lot of people use them and love it)
- Level Frames
Again, there’s no rules here, just whatever works for you.
So there you are, mama, if you want to add a meaningful gift to the mix this year then this could be the one.
I wrapped them all the same and had the kids open them all at the same time. This was fun and they ripped them open then compared. It truly felt like one of those Christmas memories you hope for at present opening time.
- Practical Christmas Presents You’ll Love All Year
- Bestselling Baby Christmas Gifts
- Bestselling Toddler Christmas Gifts
- More Bestselling Preschooler Christmas Gifts
- Bestselling Christmas Gifts For Kids Aged 5-10
- Gifts For Those Who Don’t Like Giving/Getting Clutter
- Gift Guides For The Outdoor Loving Family
Tis the season… countdown to Christmas with these lovely advent cards🎄.Learn More