Want a cozy home this winter? Here is how to make your home hygge for the winter so you can rest, relax, and enjoy your family.
Here are 7 ways to do hygge as a family.
Thank you, Melody, for your ideas and inspiration for this post.
A couple years ago I came across that small book about cozy Danish living.
What's in this post...
A book about hygge.
Or, that cozy togetherness, warm, fuzzy feeling you get when you are relaxed, warm, and doing something with others you love.
It resonated and went viral because – hey – in this cold unconnected world we live in… anything cozy and comfortable strikes a nerve.
So, if you’re gearing up to enjoy winter and not just suffer through it, here are some simple ways to do so.
How to make your home hygge for winter
Ready to be cozy, comfy, and warm for the winter? Me too! Here we go…
Declutter the living areas
You’ve taken Christmas down and aren’t ready for spring decoration yet, so take advantage of this time to reset.
Reset your space
- Declutter your bookshelves
- Remove extra items off your tables and surfaces
- Take down or update your picture frames/wall art
You don’t want empty or sterile (we’ll get to that, keep reading!) but you do want to give your brain a break!
Removing visual clutter will do that!
Takeaway: Create a blank slate in the living areas.
The first step to getting rid of chaos is to simplify, simplify, simplify. This guide can help.Learn More
Pull out cozy blankets and cushions
One of my favorite ways to make the home feel cozy is with thick blankets.
Soften your space
- Curl up in those cozy blankets for family movie night or cartoon hour
- Grab a warn drink and snuggle in
- Enjoy those quality family moments in warmth and comfort
- Use a fabric basket to collect all the blankets and declutter room when snuggle time is over
Takeaway: Family time can be comfy, snuggle up, and watch a movie time.
Diffuse some fragrant essential oils
Diffuse your favorite winter scents in your home to add an instant hygge vibe.
Diffusing essential oils before bedtime or in the evening can add an element of the season right into your home.
Need help choosing? Here are some Hygge oils I love!
- Northern Lights Black Spruce
- White Fir
- Fir Needle
Use softer cozy lighting
Hygee lighting can contribute to the mood of any space in your home.
Practical lighting tips
- Use candles for ambiance
- Replace bright lighting with warm glow bulbs
- Utilize your lamps for a cozy vibe
- Minimize harsh overhead lighting
Takeaway: Store away the bright lights and embrace the warm hygee glow (unless your cooking of course).
Stock up on warm drinks for a hygge winter
Sipping on a warm drink while snuggled into your hygee home can really bring the family together.
Create space for precious moments
- Have that warm apple cider or coffee ready to go when family stops by for a visit…
- Enjoy an evening sipping hot chocolate with your kids and telling stories…
- Hygee is having a toasty herbal tea brewing when your friend stops by for a chat…
- With a cup in hand, conversation and sweet memories will be made…
Create Family traditions
Stock up on the things your family loves to do! A hygee winter is the perfect time to create A family tradition.
My favorites are…
- Things that give opportunity for cuddles
- Games that bring out conversation
- Books (especially Christmas or Winter themed)
- A basket at the end of the church with some handy books for a quick snuggle and read
- Family board games
- Anything you I can do with a hot drink in my hand and a cozy blanket on my lap
I am an only child. A “lonely only” from Birth Order.
As a child, I did love to play card games, but there wasn’t much opportunity for board games. Thankfully, my husband loves board games and so do the kids!
Get the board games out and start playing those in the evenings if you have time. We usually end up playing games on the weekends, or the kids play games by themselves while I’m cooking dinner.
Takeaway: Set things in order to create family Hygee moments. It’s a great to spend time together!
Print (or save) some winter cooking faves
If you like certain foods during the winter months, don’t let the time go by without having these on regular rotation.
Pratical hygee cooking tips
- Print out your fave winter recipes
- Choose some meals that are pantry heavy (like chili, minus the meat) so you can make them easily without having to plan.
- Buy some cookie dough (or make some) and have it on hand to pop a few cookies in.
In just 15 minutes a night (while you’re in your pajamas!) take your home (and heart and mind) from stressed out to organized.
Enjoy your winter hygge moments…
We all have busy family lives.
We can get so busy we’re stressed to the max.
The key is to relax and enjoy time with family. Even if you feel like you *could* be cleaning. These moments are ones you’ll remember forever.