Are all the kids home and you are looking for ways to pass the time? Here are some Christmas things to do with the kids when you’re in the spirit!
Well you’ve gotten through Thanskgiving and are making your way to Christmas and…
Sometimes having all the kids at home during the day means you need to find some Christmas things to do to pass the time.
You don’t have to sit the kids in front of the TV to get peace, try these things together as a family.
Strong family cultures aren’t by accident, they come by making purposeful choices that everyone remembers.
Start some new family traditions this year, carry on some old ones, and have an awesome time with this Christmas.
Christmas Things To Do With Your Family
Here are tons of things you can do with your family, take one down and pass it around.
Okay, let’s dive in.
Cozy Hygge Christmas Ideas At Home
- Have a Christmas Music dance party. Put on some loud music and dance silly. This is great fun for the littles.
- Make gingerbread houses with your kids. You can buy a kit or make them from scratch.
- Decorate Christmas cookies. You can buy (or make) cookie and then let each child decorate their own. Deliver them to neighbors or friends!
- Watch your favorite Christmas movies together.
- Make a hot chocolate bar at your house and cozy up with some cocoa.
- Read Christmas books together under cozy blankets. Bonus points if you can light a fire!
- Make a Christmas list with the kids.
Things To Do Around Town
Depending on where you live, of course, there may be tons of things to do in your area.
Even if you’re from a smaller area (like I am!) there are still likely a lot to be done.
- Drive around and look at Christmas lights.
- In neighborhoods with adequate sidewalks, take walks so you can see the lights closer up at a nicer pace.
- Go for dessert and warm festive drinks at a local coffee shop.
- Go Christmas shopping together as a family to pick out gifts for family friends or relatives.
- Find out when the tree lightings are in your area (or surrounding area) and put them on the calendar.
- Sign and address your Christmas cards then mail them out.
Things To Do With Friends & Family
If you want to entertain friends and family, try these things.
- Have a game night. Order pizza, get fizzy drinks, and break out awesome board games.
- Go caroling. I have wanted to do this with the kids for-ev-er. Practice a few popular songs and go to your friends and family’s doors and sing!
- Go ice skating. Is there a rink near you? Go with the family for a skate.
- See Santa at a local mall or store.
- Go see the Nutcracker Ballet. I do this every year with my daughter.
Crafty Things To Do At Christmas
Or even if you’re not really crafty, you’ll find something you like.
- Write and mail letters to Santa. Here are instructions from USPS on how to do this.
- Make a Christmas ornament to hang on the tree.
- Create some easy gifts to give to neighbors or friends like these gingerbread bath bombs.
- String some felt garland to hang up around your tree or mantel or, really, anywhere.
- Decorate the kids’ doors like snowmen!
- Make a Christmas wreath for the front door.
- Grab some paper and make paper snowflakes.
Things To Do Outside
So, if you love going outside, you’ll love these.
- Go sledding. Okay, I’m in Florida, we have 75 degree Christmases.. but if you have the fortune of snow, take advantage.
- Have a snowball fight. It can be organized or not impromptu. Or… organized by mom and impromptu for the kids. :)
- Decorate your house with Christmas lights and blow up things or whatever suits your fancy.
- Set up a stand in your neighborhood or town and give away free hot chocolate.
- Go to a tree farm and cut down your own Christmas tree. Did you know, you can also replant them?
Gift Related Activities
Now, here are some great present related activities.
- Wrap Christmas presents together.
- Go shopping together to get gifts for loved ones.
- Stuff the kids’ stockings with awesome little things as soon as they go to bed. Maybe wrap them up in individually in case they take a peek.
- Buy practical gifts for each other OR fun gifts like board games.
- Take a family photo together and get it printed out on a canvas to bring out each year at Christmas.
Thoughtful Christmas Activities
Here are some things you can do to remember the reason for the season.
- Do an advent together each night, whether reading a Bible verse or a book.
- Volunteer at a local soup kitchen, homeless shelter, or outreach event.
- Go to your church’s Christmas events and participate.
- Use these random acts of kindness cards and do one when you have free moments.
- Organize a gift exchange between your friends or family.
- Hang up mistletoe at home (or in public!) and kiss under it.
- A Crucial Conversation To Have With Kids Before They Open Their Presents
- How To Have (Or Be) Flexible House Guests While Keeping Your Routine
- “Is Santa Real?”
- Free Printable Advent Devotion For Moms & Kids
- How To Be A Confident Parent With Extended Family: Do’s & Don’ts
- How To Get Ahead Of The Holiday Rush & Slow Down
- How To Write A Christmas Card People Want To Read
- Tips For Hosting Holiday Parties With Kids
- Family Christmas Traditions That Won’t Break The Bank
New to this community? Start here, friend.