What's in this post...
Want to read during the holidays with your family? Here are the best children’s Christmas books for babies, toddlers, preschoolers, and adults.
The holidays are a magical time to do, well… just about anything.
Moods are high, views are pretty, and there are endless Christmas things to do as a family. One thing that should be high on all of our lists is reading the best children’s Christmas books to our kiddos. Maybe we’re adding them to our nightly bedtime stories.
Or maybe we’re having family read alouds after dinner. Either way, there’s no better way than reading to spark memorable conversations with our kids.
All time best children’s Christmas books
Of course, depending on your location and your religion, the most popular and classic children’s Christmas books will vary slightly. I’ve done my best to pull together popular titles for various ages.
Toddlers and preschoolers.
And then, of course, adults.
Christmas Books For Babies
Babies love sitting on their parents lap reading books. Or rather, trying to chew on the books and rubbing the pages. And then learning to turn the pages.
Bring these books out at Christmas, and store them with the decorations. Your children will have such fond memories of these books, I promise!
- My First Christmas | This board book is cute and written by a famous children’s book author.
- Baby’s Christmas | This is a golden book and you can get it in hardcover or a board book.
- Christmas In The Manger | This board book tells the story of Jesus’ birth. Great for Christian families.
- The First Christmas | This is a lift-a-pop board book which is perfect for little fingers that want to do flap lifting. Best of luck with that, mama?.
- Llama Llama Jingle Bells | A llama board book… we LOVE the llama series over here.
Join me THIS WEEK in making lists of what to buy, checking them twice, and being donzo!
Best Christmas Books For Toddlers & Preschoolers
Now, this is the age where little ones start getting into books. Research unanimously proves there are numerous benefits to reading to kids. And these children’s Christmas books will be perfect seasonal reads.
Remember, toddlers and preschoolers don’t have long reading stamina and may try to get up and down, flip pages, or switch books quickly.
Don’t get strung out.
Remember, if you are patient and persistent, your children will develop a love of reading! Here are some of the best Christmas books for toddlers and preschoolers that you can keep and read for years to come.
- Little Blue Truck Christmas | These little blue truck books are genius. My kids read ours until it split at the spine and we had to replace it.
- Llama Llama Holiday Drama | This is a favorite around here. Talks about a day at the shopping mall when emotions are high, it has some shock value too?.
- Danny And The Dinosaur: A Very Dino Christmas | The Danny and the Dinosaur books are quite popular and this doesn’t disappoint.
- How The Grinch Stole Christmas | This book was written over 60+ years ago and is a total classic. Bring it out and read it before you watch the movie.
- Elmo’s Countdown To Christmas | This is another lift flap book your kids will enjoy touching while reading.
- How To Catch An Elf | This is a new york times bestseller so you know it was super popular when it came out a few years ago. (Good if you do elf on the shelf at your house)
- Construction Site On Christmas Night | We have the companion book, good night good night construction site, and it’s a cute read with lovely images.
- The Christmas Wish | A lovely Nordic tale about a brave girl who wants to be one of Santa’s elves.
➡️ You can even send some of these Christmas books for preschoolers with them to their school as presents for the other kids!
Books For Elementary Aged Children
Something magical happens when kids get old enough to read chapter books. They start disappearing for hours at a time. And they’re quiet. But they’re not getting into trouble!
My little ones often read books during independent play time each afternoon. They go from toys to books, and if you can bring out seasonal books for them to enjoy, all the better.
A good rule of thumb? Encourage screen free activities with your kids (books included!) before allowing screen time.
- A Girl Who Saved Christmas | Perfect for girls 8+.
- Berenstain Bears And The Joy Of Giving | We love this series and enjoy the holiday related editions.
- Santa’s Underwear | This is silly and fun.
- The Nutcracker | My daughter and I go see this ballet yearly, this would be a fun book to add to our collection.
- The Night Before Christmas | A classic book for the ages.
- The 12 Days Of Christmas | Play the song, read the book, and do some crafts with the 12 days in the lead up to Christmas.
- The Polar Express | You can take train rides now on this theme, and our kids’ school has a Polar Express day during every holiday season.
Awesome Christmas Books For Adults
Just like the Hallmark movies we all love to watch during the holidays, holiday and Christmas books are just as festive. In addition, you can read them at any time of the day.
Books help us to relax, decompress, and wind down after long days in the trenches. Curl up in some holiday blankets, diffuse some fall and wintry scents, and enjoy these festive books.
Sit back, relax, and curl up with one of these Christmas books for adults you’ll want to read every year. Note, these are on my list, but I haven’t read them all!
- A Christmas By The Sea | Set in Seaside, MA this gives you cozy and seaside in one go. Kind of like a Tuscan sun theme, but in America and at Christmas.
- A Very Nantucket Christmas | This actually has two holiday novels in one, so this is a great twofer.
- Alaska Holiday | This is set in wintry Alaska and is kind of like a beach read – meaning it’s easy – but set during the holidays.
- Christmas At The Chalet | Basically nothing says holidays like a chalet.
- Royal Holiday | Are you a royal fan? This may be just the thing. Like “I got a prince for Christmas” type thing.
- Letters From Father Christmas | J.R.R. Tolkien wrote this so you know it’s going to be good.
- Mr. Dickens And His Carol | A fun twist on a classic English tale.
- Starry Night | This has over 1k+ 5 star reviews so… move this to the top of the list.
Books add wonder… stock up
Whether you were here for your Christmas books for babies, toddlers, or adults, I hope you found what you were looking for.
I hope these festive Christmas books will help you make the holiday season even more memorable. Certain things, for instance, reading with the kids every night with hot chocolate, will be memorable and special for years to come.
In just 15 minutes a night (while you’re in your pajamas!) take your home (and heart and mind) from stressed out to organized.
Gift guide for kids
- Bestselling gifts for babies
- Bestselling gifts for toddlers
- And, bestselling gifts for kids aged 5 to 10
- Or if you’re stocking up on seasonal books, get these all time bestselling Thanksgiving books for kids and adults.